Thursday, January 14, 2016

Week #2

Yeah I got your guys carepackage. Thanks for the beef jerky! It was gone by the end of the day though. Things are still going good, the language is getting there. I can understand Spanish really well but speaking it is still hard, it's hard to think of words on the spot. We got 2 new "investigators" this week that we have been teaching and they have been going well. I still use notes while teaching but it is definitely getting better.

Sounds like I am missing out on some good football games. Wish I could watch them. Hopefully the Seahawks win this weekend. Go Hawks!

Companionship is going good, Elder Wild is crazy good at Spanish and totally carries the lessons. We mess around a lot and have a lot of fun. In our casa there are a ton of other Elders that we always hang out with at night. They were thinking of moving all the mattresses out in the living room area but hopefully that doesn't happen.

Haha funny thing that you asked about Esteban. Yesterday during dinner he told us to save some room. After we ate he took us back in the kitchen and gave us some snicker doodles with strawberry ice cream in the middle, which was amazing. Esteban wants to take a picture with me and my companions and post it to his instagram so I will have to learn what his instagram is and tell you guys.

The blog is perfectly fine, I saw it and it looks good to me. 

So I am not totally sure when I leave the MTC. I know I either leave Feburary 8, 9, or 10th. I dont think we learn our flight schedule until like the week before we leave or something like that. I am thinking that I leave on the 9th but im not 100% sure. Im pretty sure that we fly to Santiago first, which is like an 11 hour flight, then we fly to Antofagasta. We go to Santiago first to apply for those temporary visa. I wouldnt send anything to the MTC down here because it takes way too long and I dont want the package to show up when I have already left. It has happened multiple times where the missionary leaves and the package shows up like the next day. But that one service is really good and works, I got your package on Monday and I got the letter on Tuesday

Getting up in the morning hasnt been a problem at all, there hasnt been one morning where ive struggled to get up. But we listen to that alarm clock song every single morning which is getting annoying but its funny. But yeah getting up has been really easy and good. The only thing is, is that we have to be ready and out the door by 7 which doesnt give us a lot of time to get ready.

The devotional this Tuesday was actually a live broadcast from the Provo MTC. Elder Anderson of the 12 spoke to us which was really cool. He talked about how missionaries need to teach the doctrine of Christ and how important it is to remember that you represent Christ. It was a really good talk but I don't have my notes on me. And yes I have been writing in my journal every night, dont worry.

So the other night I had one of the most crazy experiences and will probably be the best experience here at the MTC. So some backstory first. So on Sunday after one of our meetings we were on our way to class. One of the old Elders was driving by in his Golf Cart, Im not sure if he was called to serve in the MTC or if he is a missionary or what. But he offered us a ride along with 2 other missionaries. It was really funny and cool he drove us right on the sidewalks, right to our classroom. Then we didnt really think of it much. But this Tuesday one of the missionaries that rode with us (Elder Howard) in the golf cart had to stay with us for the night because the rest of his district left and he left on Wednesday. So while we were moving his luggage from the Dorms all the way to our casa the same Elder offered us a ride in his golf cart with the luggage. When we got to our casa he asked if he could come in and share something with us. So we went in and sat in the living room area. He said that he felt the impression to give us a ride and share some stories with us. He shared three stories and a scripture with us. Everything tied together so well and the Spirit was so strong. I dont have time to share all the three stories but the scripture that he shared with us was D&C 84 (colon, cant figure out where the colon is on a spanish keyboard) 88. The scripture talks about how the Lord will always be with us on our right side, on our left, and in our heart and angels all around you. While he was speaking I felt these angels and it was something that Ive never felt before. The feeling that I had is so hard to explain but it was really cool. I know that the Lord is always with me and angels are all around me at all times and that I will always be protected. But what are the odds of us running into him again in his golf cart and with the same missionaries that he gave a ride on Sunday.

Ive actually heard some things about my new mission president that will be coming in this June. I have heard that he is awesome and a really cool guy. So I cant wait to meet him as well as meeting the Daltons.

If so me and Trenton might be leaving out to the field about the same week or really close which is awesome. But ill definitely have to email him.

Well I love you guys so much and miss all of you! 
Love,
Elder Newkirk

Note by Jason --
**** If you would like to send a care package that will usually get delivered next day to Jordan, this is the service we've used and it's great! Also you can send letters through this site as well.

http://www.mtcmexicocarepackage.com/home.html

Here are his photos from this week as well. We are anxious to learn about the box on his head...lol




No comments:

Post a Comment